Friday 13 August 2010

The signature was invalid....

Don't you hate it when stupid things cause you to lose insane numbers of hours from your day?

Yesterday I noticed a little Code-Sign warning popping up in XCode. It hadn't happened before, and I thought something might be up with Arcade Slots.
So, I hopped back over to Cardagain, and recompiled it, only for the exact same message to appear!

Oh no!!
What's happened!?

Why is my Code Signing/Developers Certification thing no longer working?!!


This morning I reinstalled XCode, taking the time to grab the newer SDK, and a few other bits and pieces.
The download took about an hour, the install took another hour, and then I was ready to get started.

Except the warning still flashed up.
OMG! WTF!? NOOO!!!!

"Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid, or it was not signed with an Apple submission certificate. (-19011)"

Another hour later, and I've figured it out.
When I finally got around to releasing Cardagain, I'd had to install a second "Distribution" certificate, alongside my Developer certificate, and obviously I hadn't noticed it since then. Pay attention, Jay!!

Here's how things work.
You have three compile methods.
Debug, Release and Distribution.

In all honesty, I haven't messed about with Debug enough to tell if there's a blind bit of difference between that and Release, NSLog still works in either mode, and that's pretty much my whole Debug, right there!!

Distribution, though, needs that extra certificate.
Once added, Distribution mode will happily compile with no warnings, but if you switch back to Release/Debug.. Blammo.. You get a warning!!
Your warning is basically (in REAL WORDS) this..

"You're trying to sign your app with a distribution cert, but you aren't in distrib mode"

The app still compiles, the app still runs on your device, and there's not a blind bit of difference that it makes.

It's just there to scare the crap out of you, and make you waste 3 hours of your day trying to "fix" it.

Note to all who turn up here, looking for the answer : It doesn't appear to break anything, ignore it.

I'll let you know if anything breaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment